Monday, September 10, 2012

Bed Building and Craig's List

Good morning everyone! We had a very busy weekend but I am finally back on schedule! Friday we drove down to the beach to start looking at houses, we don't have an official move date yet but we are excited to start looking in our new town. We found a few houses that we liked but nothing yet that we LOVED. I know it will take a little bit of time until we find exactly what we are looking for, so I am not too worried about that first preliminary trip down. 

Saturday we had a yard sale and did pretty well, I might add! We made enough money to pay off one of our credit cards completely so I was very happy about that. It feels so good to pay off debt, makes me feel like a new person. We were so tired Saturday after the yard sale that we didn't do much else that night, I knew we needed to make a Home Depot run, but that would have to wait until Sunday. We did manage to look up a few things on the computer. Since the middle bedroom is almost finished being painted, I wanted to go ahead and start planning out my first guest room for the new house and use this one for all of the stuff. I know that in the smallest guest room, we either wanted 1 or 2 twin beds as opposed to a full or queen which will be in the other guest room. I have been scouring coastal design sites and such for a while trying to get an idea of what I would like to do in there and have been looking around for beds that would fit into my mold. Well I couldn't really find any that stood out to me, and the ones that I did find were from IKEA. They were a little different than I wanted and they were also $399 a piece! That used to sound like a good deal to me, but now I am trying to be more frugal while decorating a new house. I asked Jeremy that if I designed a bed could he build it for me, and he said yes!

We started drawing out a plan for a twin bed, I wanted it to have space underneath for storage baskets, and to have wooden slats up the sides. He drew out great plan for it and figured out what all materials he would need, so we would have everything ready for our HD trip on Sunday!

Sunday morning we woke up and got dressed and ready and then went to HD, We got everything we needed to finish the middle bedroom like electrical outlets and covers, a fan to replace the crusty one, some extra paintbrushes, and a light switch/cover. Then we made our way over to the wood section to buy everything for the bed! All of the materials for the bed ended up costing us less than $150! That was a huge savings, this bed was going to be much more sturdy and last a whole lot longer than a bed from IKEA, and it was exactly what I wanted, instead of kind of what I wanted! When we got home Jeremy started working on it right away and was finished with the exception of a few little details by last night! Now all I have to do is paint it and then accessorize it! I am so happy with the way it turned out, I cannot wait to get pics of it to you guys, and maybe the plans so you could build one yourself if you wanted to! 

This morning I got up and started looking on Craig's List for an old advertising box that I would like to make a storage bench out of to place at the end of the bed. I couldn't believe that someone had just put one on there yesterday, I emailed the guy and it was still available! I jumped on and in a few minutes I am going to go over there and pick it up, then get started on that project. Busy Busy Busy! I have so much going on but I am having a great time doing all of this!

Have A Magical Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment