Thursday, September 20, 2012

Chicken-and-White Bean Chili with Pumpkin!

Another good morning to you all out there, I have another busy day ahead of me, the closet is finally finished being painted and now I can start organizing all of the craft items! I think this is going to be the hardest part of all of this, so hopefully it won't be too hard of a task. I have been trying to get ideas for a craft closet on Pinterest. I have seen a few things that I like but mostly they won't really help me since this closet isn't permanent, since we are moving in the near future. I am sure it will all work out though. 

So, it is that time of year when pumpkins are showing up in all of the stores and the weather is getting a little cooler. It is my absolute favorite time of year.  The weather is always perfect, blue skies, beautiful trees, breeze, just everything about Fall is wonderful! With that in mind, last night I made a really great dish. I was so impressed with how good the recipe was that I thought I would share it with you all here! It may inspire you to make your own during this wonderful season! 

Chicken-and-White Bean Chili with Pumpkin
Coastal Living Magazine October Issue

Packed with flavor, this recipe can easily be adapted for vegetarians. Simply exchange vegetable broth for chicken and omit the cubed chicken and stir in more beans!

Prep: 25 minutes  Cook: 32 minutes

2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups peeled and cubed pumpkin, calabaza, or butternut squash
2 (14 oz) cans chicken broth
1 (15.5 oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
Garnishes: sour cream, sliced jalapeños, chopped fresh cilantro

1. Stir together first 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Combine chicken and 1 Tbsp spice mixture in a medium bowl, and toss to coat. Set aside remaining spice mixture.

2. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat; add chicken and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Transfer to a plate.

3. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño to soup pot; cook over medium heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Stir in garlic and reserved spice mixture; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.

4. Add pumpkin and next 5 ingredients to soup pot. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 25 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Return chicken to pot; simmer 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat, and stir in lime juice. Garnish, if desired. Will keep, covered in refrigerator, up to 3 days. Makes 9 cups.

I hope you take the time to try out this recipe, it was fabulous and I will definitely make it again! For now Mr. C has the leftovers to take to work for lunch, and I will get back to craft organization!

Have A Magical Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment