Saturday, September 15, 2012

DIY Window Map Wall Art

Good morning everyone! It is 7:55am on a Saturday morning and I am not quite sure why I am awake yet? I usually try and sleep in at least a little bit on Saturday's but oh well, can't do anything about it now, so why not blog right?? Mr. C starts night shift tonight and so he stayed up really late last night getting a few things done in the guest room that I hadn't made it around to yet, so I can check those few things off the list! Fantastic!! This room is really coming along and there isn't actually too many things we need to do in here for it to be finished! So onto the project of the night!

Last night before I went to bed we started and finished yet another project for the room! A few weeks ago Mr. C had ordered some coastal maps and we hadn't decided on what exactly to do with them until last night. The maps were from eBay and we got 2 for $15 with free shipping. Yesterday, as I mentioned before we went to the Antique Mall again and picked up 2 old windows for $16. When we got home he cleaned them all up and used that Goof Off stuff (which is AWESOME if you have never tried it!) to get the excess paint etc from the glass. We thought and thought about what to do and then finally decided on it! We were going to make some wall art with the maps and windows! We really loved the idea. 

Tools:
Paintbrush
Modge Podge
2 Old Windows (6 Pane)
2 Coastal Maps
Wall Hangers
Scissors
Writing Utensil
Yard Stick

We started by measuring the window panes and then drew out a grid on the map as to where we wanted it centered inside the window. Then we cut out the pieces and modge podged them into place. He put the wall hangers on the back the Voila, Wall art!! I had a few pieces of leftover map that I thought would look cool in frames. We vacationed at Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher when I was younger almost every year and so those places have sore of a special place in my heart, therefore I used the glass inside 2 other small photo frames I had gotten at Goodwill and cut out the map so it would fit inside there! So here you go, here is what we made! 

Cost: $15 per window (we did 2), then the small frames at Goodwill were only $1.99 with leftover map pieces so, less than $2, which I was very proud of!

Both Coastal Map Window Art Pieces
Close-Up
Leftover Map in Frame (Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher)
Other Leftover Map in Frame (Bald Head Island)
 I hope you all enjoyed this DIY! Maybe it will inspire you to do the same kind of thing for your coastal room! Who knows, you may even find a map of your area that you really love!

Have A Magical Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment